Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Here's your ass...

The point of moving to the new barn was that I would ride more.  It's closer to my house and has a covered arena...so even though we were having huge amounts of rain I could still ride!  Except my horse was psycho.  So......

Actually, I did ride him a few times.  I was proud of myself for riding him through the attempts to buck and rear and freak out being separated from Jessie who was screaming his fool head off back at the barn.  To me, my attempts at riding were great...I rode him until he was able to go on the bit somewhat quietly for a couple of circles.  To my trainer, they were ridiculous little attempts that barely made a dent in the issue.  Which was ok with me, because that's why I moved to that barn...so that I could learn more, faster!

So my first lesson at the new barn I asked my trainer to ride Shamrock.  It was glorious.  Shamrock basically had his ass handed to him for 45 minutes and came out of it a changed horse with a new found focus.  And a need for a nap.


Being a working member of society and not a nutcase is tiring...


(I want to add that my trainer is amazing and while disciplined and expecting a lot of the horses he knows how hard to push and uses his incredible timing more than anything...no force or gadgets for Shamrock, just good old fashioned half halts and expectations).

No comments:

Post a Comment