Tuesday, September 8, 2015

My first big clue something was wrong...

My first giant, red flag that something was wrong with my horse was his introduction to a dressage whip.  He had experienced whips before, in the round pen, with absolutely no fear, whatsoever...just accepted the presence of the whip and listened to it appropriately.  So I thought nothing of taking a dressage whip with me for a ride, where I lightly tapped him on the haunches while leading him to the riding area, trying to encourage him to walk with me instead of lagging behind.


Big mistake.  He took off.  Ripped the reins from my hands and spent 10 minutes galloping around the pasture, fully tacked.  Eventually he let me catch him, and he was a wreck.  I didn't try a whip on him again for a year.



No comments:

Post a Comment