Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Shamrock's Purpose

When I bought Shamrock, I didn't have a distinct purpose in mind.  I wanted something quiet and calm that could be versatile and learn different styles of riding while able to be a mount for me, my son, and even my hadn't ridden very much husband.  Shamrock was a great size for me to ride, even though I'm 5'8", but also not be super huge for my at the time 2 year old son to ride!  As an added bonus, my previous horse's gear fit him because she was a similar size.

This is Sophie, the Arabian/Trakehner mare I had before deciding I would leave the Air Force and that I sold because I wouldn't be able to afford a horse for a few years.  She was pretty small as well!


When I bought Shamrock I didn't have a clear goal in mind.  We kept him in the middle of farm land in Texas, with no nearby trainers and no arena really suitable for schooling something discipline specific.  It didn't help that he turned crazy soon after purchasing him.  Now, his purpose is to be my little sport pony.  We started with dressage work for a couple of years, and then slowly started adding some jumping as his flat work improved.  When I moved to a facility that had a bonafide jump arena we started working more and more on jumping.

So now, the goal with Shamrock is for him to be an eventer, a dressage pony, and maybe someday a working equitation pony...and of course...a trail pony that also does pony rides every now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment